Friday, January 8, 2016

Camping and reading and Christmas, oh my

I took another road trip and camping adventure. It was over Christmas and New Year. I basically wanted to lay low until it was over. Which kind of worked, I suppose. I spent a few days on the beach, then a few days around Mt Taranaki. Camping and hiking, hiking and camping. It was very beautiful.

On Christmas day I hiked to Dawsons Falls, then went to camp at a boat club. I pulled in and an older group of people camping there noticed I was alone. They invited me to eat Christmas dinner with them, in the way that a grandmother offers you all the food and cookies in her house, more insistance than question. It was really nice and I had a good time talking to them and trying to be as interesting as they imagined I would be.

Here are some photo highlights and a Christmas video.






I then spent the few days around new years back at Tongariro National Park. I did more day day hikes there, it was great.




So many waterfalls


Somewhere in the mix of all this I began reading Game of Thrones. I have a collection of the five of them on my kindle. I've become a bit obsessed.

After I left Tongariro I was heading to a nearby campsite, that I drove past three times and failed to find. But I ended up driving much further to a more secluded site. It was pretty and peaceful and I was actually able to put up my hammock.

I ended up staying there three nights. It was perfect and I somehow read the first two Game of Thrones books. It was only mildly terrifying in that setting. So, that's about it. Nothing terribly exciting, but it's been good.

Hammock in a foreign land
Other things to note:

  • Applying sunscreen should be a finite thing. At some point, your skin should be sun resistant. Also, how are uv rays getting through the layers of grime?
  • I'm no longer being fooled by my camelback while hugging trees. I'm sad.
  • Someone said to me, "Thanks again for your fire stick." I think that's a great quote.
  • New Zealand seems to be proud of the Hokey Pokey ice cream flavor, but they sing hokey tokey, not hokey pokey. Weirdos.

No comments:

Post a Comment