Tuesday, December 1, 2015

The In-between

This is the part where I'm stressed and in my head and anxious and need to take a chill pill.

Back in Auckland I realized I didn't want to be there anymore, but I kind of got stuck. I did hike a nearby island/volcano (Rangitoto) and go to some museums and art galleries, so that was ok.


I decided that what I'd really like was to get a car so I could travel at my own rate and camp and wwoof at farms that are not just near bigger cities. Buying a car is the worst. It's terrible even when you're at home and have someone who can drive around to look with you. It's terrible even when your dad is amazing and basically does it for you. So it's really great when you're in a foreign country by yourself.

Banks are also the worst and I don't understand how transferring money is so difficult. I talked to a bunch of different people and they would give me conflicting answers or no answers or wrong answers. For days I had "Bitch better have my money" running through my head.

Lucky for me I've got some really great people that helped me out. I don't know what I would have done without Matt and Mary Jane. I stayed with them for nearly a week, and I'm sure I'll be back. They helped me look for cars and figure out bank things and insurance and fed me and let me use their kayaks and were all around amazing and comforting and helpful. I was both anxious to leave and have adventures and sad to leave their company and hospitality.


We managed to find a car and I bought it with fancy monopoly money.


I drive on the left side of the road now. I also turn on my windshield wipers instead of turn signals. I'm adjusting. I've been on some really cool little adventures in the past week, but I'm saving those for more time and internet. And also I'm not sure how to get pretty pictures from my camera to your faces.

Here is where I live now (I know it needs to be washed, adventures involve a lot of dusty roads).


No comments:

Post a Comment