Sunday, January 17, 2016

WWOOF #3 Flowerbed and Breakfast

Last week (maybe longer, I don't know. I don't believe in time.), I tried my luck with another WWOOF host. I was to help at a Bed and Breakfast near Napier. I arrived on a Friday evening and was greeted by a slightly drunk older man. He apologized and explained that they'd had family visiting for the afternoon and handed me a glass of wine. So that I could catch up and he wouldn't feel as foolish. I guess it was off to a good start?

The place was really great and beautiful. I was given one of the rooms, so I had my own bathroom with a shower and a tub! I actually took a bath and it was amazing. The place had a great yard and garden and fruit trees. It was lovely.

One day I hoed (that's possibly a word) and weeded a vegetable and flower garden.

Another day I trimmed a bay tree and cleaned up flower beds.

Another day I cleaned out and enlarged a flower bed and added a bench and walkway.

Fancy bench. Just hope a grapefruit doesn't fall on your head.

I also transplanted blueberries, planted petunias, tied up and pruned tomatoes, destroyed some day lilies, and other random tasks.

I really enjoyed myself and had a great time. The couple running the bed and breakfast were nice and understanding and we got along very well. I found that I got along especially well with Jes.  He'd give me the right amount of instructions and room to figure things out and I never felt like I'd be doing something wrong. He also explained everything well and answered all my questions. I learned a lot.

He was a bit of a grumpy old man, but in a good way. He was a little difficult to read, didn't put on a face for show, didn't talk if he didn't have anything to say; he was who he was. We were kind of kindred spirits. He wouldn't give in to my terrible jokes. Sometimes it seems like I'd tell twice as many so I could still get some laughs. Overall it just seemed like they cared about me having a good stay and experience.

I also got to spend time with some of the guests, who were interesting. One night we made pizzas in an outdoor brick pizza oven, delicious.

They gave me suggestions of places to spend my afternoons, and that was also super. The Hawk's Bay area is gorgeous. I enjoyed some time in Napier, which is a very pretty port town.
Not a great picture, but I didn't take many.
I hiked up Te Mata for some stunning views.


And hiked to a surprisingly large waterfall, Shine Falls.


And when I left I picked apricots, grapefruit, and plums to take with. They also gave suggestions of places to stop, which have worked out very nicely. My happiness and well-being are fully restored. Hooray!!

Other things to note:
  • This update is vague and uninspired because I waited too long. Note to self: be better.
  • I had my first pizza with anchovies. It was ok.
  • I'm very happy that apricots are pronounced ape-rocots, like I've always preferred. I'm torn on whether to say to-may-toe or to-mah-toe. I've never thought that song would actually apply to my life.
  • I'm really getting spoiled for waterfalls. I have to consciously not take them for granted.
  • I've been watching a few cricket matches. Even with explanations, I do not understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment